Penwortham Methodist Church

A brief history

The original chapel was built on Pear Tree Brow in 1813.  Blue plaqueRe-built in 1833, this building, which is now privately owned,  displays a blue plaque on the  wall  to commemorate its origin. 

In later years there was the need for a larger church in Middleforth, and so the church on its present site was opened in 1910 to cater for the growing congregation.
At the time when Penwortham Bridge Methodist Church (to give it its full name)  was first opened, the nearby bridge, dating back to 1750, was the lowest bridging point of the River Ribble. Prior to the construction of the 'old' bridge, the only means of crossing the river at this point was by ferry-boat or ford. Original foundation stoneThe foundation stone from the original Wesleyan Chapel can now be seen built into our front perimeter wall.

A warm welcome awaits you at any of our Sunday Services.  

Please check the Weekly Notices on our website for further details.